You may need to go to the Court of Protection if all other ways to make decisions, such as best interests meetings, have been unsuccessful. Sometimes family, or the person themselves, have strong views as to what is in their best interests and an agreement cannot be reached. When there are major disagreements, about serious issues, the matter can be referred to the Court of Protection for resolution.